Adventures of absent-minded MBA student

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I wish cloning was an option


The time passes by so fast that I can't keep up with it. Finally it happened - now we have so many different classes and home works, I almost don't sleep at night. Sometimes, I feel like Hermione from books about Harry Potter (it's funny I first wrote Porter instead of Potter, though I'm much more attracted by the fairy tales, then by the Porter's five forces). There are some major differences from the book though. I'm not that smart and I don't have the Time turner, but some subjects seem as difficult as Devination to me. (You see I'm a big fan of Joanne Rowling).

This week end I was in Moscow, visiting my friends and family and it was great. It's funny that very often you understand how much you need somebody, only when you are far from each other. But anyway, it's so nice to feel loved and looked after, when you don't have to make important decisions every second and can just be yourself. Actually, this trip made me to understand that I miss myself a lot. Where is the funny girl, always ready for new adventures? And what is this pale, fidgeting and constantly embarrassed creature doing here? Have no idea.

Last week, I told you I don't know where I want to work, so I decided that I need to find out a little bit more about every industry and then try to concentrate on something. As a result, I signed up practically for every club that exists at school (apart from rugby maybe). And this week all those clubs have meetings - so my schedule is pretty full. I think that the clubs are one of the best things at school and really appreciate the opportunity to be involved in so many industries at the same time. I even signed up for the "wine and cheese" club, though I don't think it would be a wise choice for the career. Most of the clubs are very active and professional - they organize educational classes, CV coaching, meetings with prominent people in the industry and so on. This week we have consulting, finance (I signed up for optional valuation course), marketing (it was today and I'm very excited), media and retail. So I will probably post the report by the end of the week.
Today we had yet another very interesting event, organized by the "Women in business" club. It was called "Life after LBS" (yes, there's life after!!) and they invited some very successful women to share their ideas about careers and family with us. I was especially inspired by one lady, who started her own coffee shop, while studying at the LBS and then eventually this coffee shop was transformed into very progressive and successful business. The reason why she started it was pure curiosity and she succeeded! Which actually made me think that I need to sign up for entrepreneurship club as well....

And now I'm forced to leave you, because I have a very important meeting with my book of managerial economics …

4 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Hobbes said...

Love the pics u use in ur posts! :)

And ye, all my frends in BSchool currently also wish the same :) So its ok, u r not alone :p

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, please also remember to take some time out... It all feels very overwhelming, but remember: it's only academics, it's not the most important thing in the whole wide world! I think everyone stresses out in the first few weeks (see our blogs from last year this time), but if you keep it in perspective, and take some time to relax, you'll enjoy this experience a lot more!

 
At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, something you may not know yet but the school is actually ruled by the rugby club (case in point-how many of the SA exec members are not in the rugby club? Only about 1). Even if you decide not to join any club, you should still join the rugby club as they have the best parties and the best connections with the alums. Just a thought.

And your fellow MBA2007 countrymen and women organised THE best trips to Russia last year. A great tradition that I think should be continued......

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang on in there! From what I read, its impossibly hard during the first two semesters. And then it only get's worse :) Kidding. There is obviously a reason why companies are not allowed to head-hunt during the first 4 month... But you will manage, I'm sure :) In 10 years you'll be remembering this as the best time of your life, enjoy it while it lasts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home